History of Mailberg
The history of Mailberg
Mailberg was first mentioned in records in 1055. Since 1146 the castle Mailberg has been in constant possession of the Sovereign Order of the Maltese and hence is their oldest property worldwide. In terms of its function as commandery, the castle had served as spiritual and as military centre through the centuries.
Mailberg’s eventful history is shaped by wars, which again and again severely affected the castle. Mailberg was occupied and destroyed several times during the Hussite Wars in the 15th century and during the Thirty Years‘ War (1618-1648).
In the 19th century the Napoleonic Wars also affected the wine village. In 1945 the last front line ran only 10 km south of Mailberg. Especially the Russians left their traces.
In the history of Lower Austria the “Mailberger Bund“ played a significant role. The confederation was formed in the castle Mailberg in 1451 and was rated as the first successful corporate confederationagainst the power of the emperor.
Today the commandery is a free and independent economic unit, which possesses 250 hectares of fields, as well as 400 hectares of forest and 48 hectares of vineyards.
The use of the castle as hotel and tourist and event business was a significant development: Staying in the beautifully renovated rooms and suites, tasting wine in the Vinotheque, spending time in the Restaurant Schlosskeller and using the elegant rooms of the castle for personal events and seminars.